My IKEA hack

If you follow my blog you know I have been working on overhauling our living room.  Hard to believe we have lived in this home almost 9 years!  It was time.

Of course it's sustained small tweaks here and there because well, that is what I do.  

Things rarely stay in the same place for long in that room.   It's generous in size which helps and we pack a lot into the space.  

On the home stretch but the only thing not finalized are the window treatments.  Previously we had woven roman blinds and organza panels.  At some point I took the panels down to see how I felt about less fabric in the space.  And then I took the wovens down for a go at the complete bare look.  Hubby wasn't too keen on it.

Somewhere in that process I headed up to IKEA and searched thru their fabric panels because I saw with my own eyes how great they looked at my neighbor Betsey's house.  

IKEA never ceases to amaze me!

I chose a white with some texture to it, almost mimicking linen.  And when I took them out of the package I was shocked that they offered 3 different ways to hang them.  I had kept the drapery hardware (white painted wood rod and rings) from the organza panels and just re-used them.

I decided if I was going to put panels back up I wanted them to be quiet and neutral.  Hence the white but I did not want them to look bedroom-y so I searched on Etsy for decorative trim.  

When planning this room I wanted it to feel relaxed, comfortable and interesting.  I wanted pops of color and texture and was not aiming for "matching".

Boy was I excited when I found this one since it had a combination of colors in it all of which worked in the space.    My plan was to sew a strip of trim to the inside edge of each panel.




So, in the time that all that transpired I will admit that the 2 packages of panels sat in the back corner of the living room collecting dust.  And somewhere in that time I decided to replace the studio drapes with a pair of these.  The studio is a room off our master bedroom that faces the front of the house.  Since our closets are in there and hubby's dresser the large picture window MUST have some form of coverage.  The IKEA panels worked great.

That left me with one pair.  And so when the mood struck, which is pretty much how I do projects at home, I hung one on the left window and one and the right window, almost treating them like one big window.  And in typical fashion I left it there for a week to see how I felt about it.  And then the trim arrived and I sewed it on the edge of one panel.




















I was pleased with the outcome.  For now they are puddling on the floor who knows if that will stay or get tweaked.



Onto the second one except I did it while hubby and I sat in front of the fire watching a movie and got to the end of the task to realize I had sewn it to the wrong side of the panel.  Did I mention I had a glass of wine next to me?    

I was none too pleased.

So while panel #2 sits and waits for the needle and thread...




















This is the current situation.  



And do not worry about that big empty space between the windows.  I am patiently waiting for a Mary Gregory.  

#excited































Comments

Popular Posts