Taco Tuesday or in this case Thursday

We are big fans of taco night in our house.  I think most families with kids at home probably are too.

About a year ago I went to make tacos and realized I didn't have the spice packet so I turned to Google to find spices that could mimic the packet and keep the troops happy.

I stumbled upon a food blogger who offered up her own version of the spice packet and all I had to do was pull out my spice drawer and do some measuring.  

I haven't bought the spice packet since!

Great way to know what is in the food and keep the sodium from being off the charts.




















Tonight as I was waiting for my youngest (and only dinner companion) to bike home from his friend's house I prepped all the add ons by opened the fridge and pulling out what was available.  

I had one avocado, some romaine lettuce, grated mexican cheese, sour cream and shells.  In our house we like to have both...soft flour tortillas and crispy taco shells.  I also popped a cookie sheet of asparagus in the oven to roast for our veggie.

Looking at the romaine leaves I had a brainstorm.  I layered 4 lettuce boats on my dinner plate, sprinkled a bit of cheese on each and then topped with taco meat, some diced avocado and 2 asparagus sprigs.  Sounds kinda crazy but it was SO yummy!  




Taco seasoning for 1 pound of meat

1 TBL. chili powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. red chili flakes
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. paprika
1.5 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper

We have affectionately been nicknamed the blanders in our neighborhood so we use just a sprinkle of the chili flakes (or sometimes none at all).  And sometimes I don't use the full tsp. salt.  Feel free to tweak according to your family's taste levels.

Comments

Popular Posts