LIVING in the living room

I love the changes I made in our living room but I also love that since the changes we are using the space more.

There is nothing better than peeking in and seeing my son lounged out on the new sofa or a laptop sitting on the coffee table.  I find myself migrating to the cozy leather club with my mug of coffee next to me each morning to enjoy the space and check emails.

A quick recap for anyone joining in late to the redo party.

About a year ago I realized that our living room had enjoyed it's time with the pale greens and blues and that almost nine years had passed since we had moved into this home.  

I was ready and it was time!

I stared by searching for a new rug.  The room is about 23 x 25 so I needed something large but I didn't have a large budget.  I love the one I found and the color that it instantly brought into the space.  It's a rectangle so I focused the seating area around it.



I found a more modern shape with the new navy tufted sofa.  I am a mixer....I have no problem mixing in styles if I love the piece.  I think too many people get caught up in rules when creating a space.  I am more focused on scale, color and texture.

I focused on separate seating areas.  I like to make sure that no matter where you plunk down in the space there is a table or stool to put your glass (or mug).

The pair of navy and cream buffalo wing back chairs I had reupholstered about 2 years ago bring an element of fun to the space.  We are not a formal family and I wanted the largest room in the house to be useable and family friendly.

I kept the loveseat in the mix since it had a clean, modern line and the mushroom color acts as a neutral with all the blues.


I saw the herringbone pattern on the top of this wood coffee table and was DONE!  And how lucky that my sisal cubes fit perfectly underneath?! 


I am a big fan of trays.  Meet our clicker and match box tray. 



I had picked up the 2 metal topped stools at Target a few years ago when I spied them on sale and knew that I would find a space for them.  I am a big fan of mixing up the metals in a room.  It adds another element of texture and clean, bright color.  

The leather club chair was purchased YEARS ago at Lillian August but it was brought into the mix again and it still remains one of my favs!




I FINALLY pulled the trigger on a Mary Gregory for my home.  I sell them in my shop and love so many of them.  In this picture it looks small but its 42" wide and it fills the space between the 2 windows beautifully.

I found this vintage wood caddy at Seymour Antiques Center and have it sitting on top of a vintage African cloth.  
I hope to get the mud cloth properly upholstered onto this bench but in the meantime I have it simply laying over the top.



I scored this round side table at Home Goods and like the wood and metal mix on top of the rug and next to the navy velvet.


I use books to prop up ANYTHING!  And fill the void when styling ANYTHING!  They look neat, offer color options and are cheap!

Below I used them to add a pop of color to the computer table and to boost the lantern up a bit since the scale of the lamp was BIG....sitting on the table alone the lantern was lost.



I like the unexpected mix of the acrylic arm chairs with the distressed pedestal table that doubles as a desk.  Recognize the round table?  It used to be our dining room table and I switch it and the vintage wood rectangle table back and forth.


Below, in the far right corner is a cabinet that houses our television components and so that remained with the redo.  

And on top of the component cabinet I group my non-flowering orchids on a vintage enamel tray.  En masse they don't seem as sad.  And they do re-bloom!













Comments

Popular Posts