A favorite in our house

Years ago (as in 20 years) I found this recipe in some magazine.  



It's in my recipe book, the one where I keep all my favorites, my Mom's favorites, friends favorites and anything that I generally cook often.  Most pages in this recipe book are dog-eared, have food stains or have been pulled out to Xerox so many times that they no longer stay in the 3 ring but rather "lay" in their appropriate spot.


It's no surprise that it's the first page in the dessert section.  I tell myself it's there because it makes it easier to find.  

My kids love the Oatmeal Chocolate Chip muffins because they taste great.  I love them because they are made with a cup of oats and a cup of Greek yogurt and I feel much better watching my kids devour these rather than a sleeve of packaged cookies.  And who doesn't love anything with chocolate chips in it?

Similar to my sesame salad dressing recipe that I get requests for all the time, this too has been shared many, many times along the way.

Last week I dropped 2 dozen off at our 
High School for the Teacher Appreciation breakfast.


Last month I shipped a dozen off to my oldest who is away at school and just yesterday I gave my Mom a zip lock bag of them to keep in her freezer.  I recently gave the recipe to a friend after she tasted one on an early morning road trip to NYC and now she makes them but tells me they are gone shortly after she takes them out of the oven.

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins 
are the bomb!

And while we generally opt for the chocolate chip version you can get creative.  

fresh blueberries
diced banana
chopped pear
chopped apple
chopped strawberries

RECIPE:
-preheat oven to 400 degrees

1 cup rolled oats  (I have used quick and old fashioned, both work great)
1 cup yogurt (I like vanilla Greek yogurt but feel free to use fruit or plain or any kind of yogurt)

-Mix oats and yogurt in a large mixing bowl and let sit for 10-15 minutes.

-In separate small bowl mix together....

1 cup flour (I like to use the Trader Joe's whole wheat flour)
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 baking powder

-To oat and yogurt mixture add...

1 egg
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup canola oil

-Mix well and then add flour mixture and a handful (or two) of chocolate chips.  Don't over mix!

-If adding fruit I use 1/2--1 cup of diced fruit.  Really you can't go wrong!

-Bake at 400 degrees for 12-18  minutes.  

You want the tops to be golden brown. 

p.s.  I have used mini-muffin tins too!
p.s.s.  They freeze well!










Comments

Popular Posts