Need a quick taste of summer?

I love to cook and I love to eat so it's kinda fun that we live in an area with 4 very different seasons.   I categorize foods and recipes into the seasons which means right now I am in the thick of warm, cozy meals that offer comfort and a full belly!

Chili, soup and meatballs seem to be topping the list right now.  As a Mom and full-time worker I try to get myself organized on Sunday (ok, sometimes it does fall to Monday) and think ahead to the week.  Dinners planned out, shopping done and lately I have been cooking larger amounts on Sunday and Monday so we can all pull from the left over pool for lunches.  

I find I eat healthier and smarter when I bring my lunch.  Who can argue with a tupperware of white bean chicken chowder heated up on a cold winter's day?  YUM!

My high schooler has been taking burrito bowls to school for lunch.  So on Sundays I cook a big pot of brown rice and grill some chicken breasts for him.  I open (and put into a tupperware) a can of black beans and refried beans.  Mornings become a snap when I simply open a bunch of tupperware and compile his bowl.  A sprinkle of shredded cheese and a spoonful or two of salsa and its done!

Yesterday I went to cook the chicken breasts and I got to thinking of one of my favorite summer marinades and wondered would it taste as good if I cooked it indoors on my grill pan?  So, it wasn't as good but it was pretty darn good and gave me a sneak peek of summer which was fun and tasty!  

And maybe you are one of the lucky ones whose grill is still within reach of your back door and useable in the winter.  Me, not so lucky.  

So here it is....


In case you can't read my chicken (ha!) scratch.

In a ziplock bag mix 4 chicken breasts with...

1/3 cup canola oil
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
3 TBL. honey
3 garlic cloves minced
1 tsp. dried Thyme (not ground)
1 tsp. dried Rosemary
1/2 tsp. ground pepper

3 hours in the fridge to marinate and then onto the grill.  Cook chicken until done.

Comments

Popular Posts