Another snow day calls for PANCAKES!

I am a fan of making most things home-made.  

Don't get me wrong I keep brownie mix in the house and even cake mix but I grew up with a Mom who baked from scratch and my taste buds definitely know the difference.  

Baking home-made is almost as easy as making a box mix....ok, maybe 1 or 2 extra steps but SO worth it. 

Years ago when the kids were little I searched high and low for a good pancake recipe.  One that didn't require me to have buttermilk in the house because that was a deal breaker.  I mean really, who puts buttermilk on their grocery list or has time to think about weekend pancakes when they are doing their weekly grocery run?  Well not me.  

This recipe has regular fridge and pantry basics.  And it quickly became a favorite in our house.  

Pancakes are mostly a weekend (or in this case snow day) thing.  And when the kids were little sometimes I would surprise them with pancakes for dinner.  

The kids like them with chocolate chips, I favor blueberries in the pancake and then top them with a mixture of blueberry jam and syrup.  Our oldest prefers diced bananas and chocolate chips.  

The bottom line is that the basic pancake recipe is a good one.  
Add it to your recipe book.  You won't be disappointed.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

299 Pancakes

1 1/4 cup flour (I like to mix half white flour and half Trader Joe's white whole wheat flour)
3 Tbls. sugar
3/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda

Mix all the dry in a large bowl and set aside.

Add a cup of milk to a large, glass measuring cup (the 4 cup kind) or another bowl.  

Add to the cup of milk....
1 egg
1/2 cup vanilla or plain yogurt (i have also added fruit yogurt in a pinch)
2 Tbls. melted butter

Whisk to blend and then add to the dry ingredients and blend just until mixed.  Don't over mix it.

I like to use a flat, square non-stick pan.  

Sprinkle in whatever makes you happy.

Happy snow day.



Comments

Popular Posts